Valerie's Reviews > Indignation

Indignation by Philip Roth

Nov 29, 08

Recommended to Valerie by: saw it at the library
Read in November, 2008, read count: 1

I just saw this on the new book shelf at the library and picked it up. I had enjoyed reading The Plot Against America and thought I would give this a try. It is a quick read--I'm not a speedy reader, but had it finished in one evening.
We begin to know Marcus Messner through his first person narration while he is still living at home and preparing to be the first in his family to attend college. Through his own eyes he seems to us a fairly normal young man.
When circumstances in his life begin to change we see through his conversations with others that Marcus may not be such a regular guy after all, but a rather odd fellow. We learn early on that Marcus is headed for disaster, yet we keep reading to find out how it will happen.
Indignation becomes a feeling that Marcus carries around with him. Indignation is present in the translation he knows of the Chinese National Anthem, which he repeats to himself during times of stress (this later becomes quite ironic). And this indignation eventually comes out in his actions and reactions to authority at the college. We are left in the end to ponder the high cost of acting on his indignation in the life of a young man.

After writing my review I just browsed through the reviews of other Goodreaders. The ratings were all over the board from one star to five stars. First book I've noticed such a mixed bag of reviews!
1 like · Likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Indignation.