Virginia's Reviews > When Crickets Cry

F_50x66
Aug 11, 12

Recommended to Virginia by: WPC Book Club
Read from August 07 to 11, 2012

After a personal tragedy struck many years ago, Reese has taken up a hermit-like existence. Holed up in his lakeside home, Reese is embroiled in self-pity, isolation, and bitterness (although the author never indicates that these are negative!). Then, one morning, he meets a very sick little girl, Annie, who helps him confront his past.
The novel seems to accept how we can try to flail ourselves over our guilt, thus vividly portraying works righteousness, which leads to bitterness (which means we have missed the grace of God). Reese refuses to accept God's forgiveness through most of the book, and then, his man-centered confession is mystical and fuzzy--could be a New Age view, although most of the book is evidently Christian. The author completely ignores encouraging us to do what God has given us the talent, skills, abilities, and gifts to do. Change in the main character is, at best, a change of some thoughts, but there is little indication that it is a heart transformation with the idea of glorifying God with the extreme gifts God has given him.
The plot is interesting, as are the quirky characters. The author has a tendency toward odd and unwieldy metaphors and similes--like the last novel I read! The plot is at times confusing as it shifts between flashback and present. One weird thing--he life-flights to the hospital at one point, but then he leaves the hospital in his car--oops.
Josh might enjoy the extensive, detailed information about heart surgery and the heart, both as a muscle--the result of much research--and as the housing of our souls. He repeats the same information several times--very strange. However, he might not be encouraged by the self-pitying ramblings.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read When Crickets Cry.