Faith's Reviews > The Goddess Test

The Goddess Test by Aimee Carter

Dec 17, 14

bookshelves: greek-mythology, book-from-wpl, meh, romance
Read from August 31 to September 01, 2012

I'm completely confused! I think my brain is crying. Okay, I'm going to try and express my rating, sorry if I'm confusing! Allow me to admit that I read reviews before I read this novel. WARNING: may contain some spoilers and be long.

Okay, first of all, if you're looking for an awesome Greek Mythology book, I wouldn't suggest this one. All of the gods change their names and I couldn't even figure out which person was which god. I guessed maybe 7 of them right but I didn't even completely know until the end of the novel when I read a page that actually told me. (view spoiler)

Secondly, the characters were one aspect I had a problem with. I had a love-hate relationship with Kate. I thought she was strong at parts and I could relate to her sometimes. But then, she seemed a little to naive for her own good. Also, she could be really stubborn, especially at the beginning of the novel when she is discovering everything. Henry was a bit weird for me too. I was as confused and frustrated as Kate when he was really closed off. Like this guy was hot and cold too much for my taste. And the whole romance he is supposed to be having with her was sort of cute but not totally there for me. And James just really annoyed me. If he is starting some stupid love triangle, screw him.

Thirdly, this death concept with the gods confused me so much. One character would die and I would be like, okay, whatever. Then, that person would come back later and I would be like, WHAT THE HECK??? YOU DIED!!!! And then the author introduces them as gods. And I think, how did they die then??? (because apparently the characters still mention them as dead!) And it leaves me thinking, is Persephone alive, not really dead?

Though, I will admit to liking the book enough to finish it. I didn't mind the plot or the pace. Some of it was cute. Though its not a favourite. I think it could have been a stand alone novel but I will read the next book to find out what's next if I can get it at the library.

But I can't say this book is better than the other Greek Mythology books I've read. For example, The Lightning Thief or Starcrossed. I will say it is equal in my POV to Abandon.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Goddess Test.

Quotes Faith Liked

Aimee Carter
“I care," he said in a trembling voice. "I care so much that I do not know how to tell you without it seeming inconsequential compared to how I feel. Even if I am distant at times and seem as if I do not want to be with you, it is only because this scares me, too.”
Aimee Carter, The Goddess Test

08/31/2012 page 106
36.0% "not too bad but Kate is getting annoying. Can she not just accept the fact Henry is the ruler of the dead?"