Steve H's Reviews > iDisorder: Understanding Our Obsession with Technology and Overcoming Its Hold on Us

iDisorder by Larry D. Rosen

Aug 11, 2012

liked it
bookshelves: 303, life-skills, psychology
Read in August, 2012

My expectations didn't match my experience with this book. It was informative and raised a number of issues, but I'm not sure I now understand our obsession with technology, the way the subtitle promises. I was hoping we'd have some explanation of "why" we behave a certain way or an answer to "does this technology cause that?" However, the book deals with relationships and correlations. So, there's no proof that technology is doing this and such, but people who have a certain mental issue may use technology more. In many of the chapters there's no certainty that technology makes people angry/depressed/unfocused. It could be that people who are angry/depressed/unfocused just use technology more.

This is probably a better book to experience in print. There are a lot of tables, lists, and evaluations. The evaluations and some of the tables are available in a PDF on one of the discs (not useful when driving), but the lists are tedious to listen to. And, call me pedantic, but the narrator's choice to read abbreviations as abbreviations rather than what the abbreviations stand for, e.g. reading "FB" as "eff bee" and "e.g." as "eee jee" wore on my nerves. (If you read "eee gee" to yourself, it means "for example" in English. As I said, call me pedantic. "FB" stands for Facebook.)

Overall, though, it did provide some food for thought as well as caused an awareness of my technology use and some patterns I will try to avoid, such as using flickering screens too frequently (like now?) or within an hour or two of trying to sleep.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read iDisorder.

11/14/2016 marked as: read