Kristilyn's Reviews > The Madness of Lord Ian Mackenzie

Aug 03, 2016

liked it
bookshelves: audiobooks, read-in-2012, non-blog-reviews
Read from August 16 to 17, 2012

Oh my gosh. This was QUITE the read.

First of all, there’s the scandal – the mystery part of the book, which I really liked. I don't know why, but I love those historical, Downton Abbey-type of scandals. They're just fun and so well done!

Second of all, the sexy times are PLENTY and very hot. VERY descriptive. Like, don’t listen to it without headphones descriptive. They may make you blush. Heck, they'll probably make you blush WITH headphones on, but maybe you could just say you were running or something.

I do like how the romance and sex in the book is gradual – it’s not like they devour each other immediately. AND it was nice to have the mix of romance with mystery.

The narration was good. I had to laugh at some of the voices for the older men – they definitely sounded like those older, stodgy British men (you know, the old men with the pipe who say, 'I say, good sir! Isn't this brandy impeccable?'). The voices were very easy to understand, the language easy to decipher, even with the narrator having an accent, which can usually be a deterrent for me.

While I tolerated the main characters, I did have some major issues with them. There were times when the main character, Beth, seems just a little too naïve for someone who has been married before. Ian, while very charming and sexy, sometimes comes across as one who isn’t the sharpest tack in the bin. I also hated how Ian seemed to take everything so literal – it got a little annoying after a while. For that reason, I really didn’t like Ian … there were even times where Beth says that she knows he’s not listening to her. Yeah, that’s a perfect man. Oh, and he says that he couldn’t love her because he’s incapable of love.

Ian also CONSTANTLY talks down about him self – why would Beth marry such a downer? I just don’t see her reasoning for marrying him in the first place. Ian seemed to only want to marry her for sex. AND he doesn’t seem to trust Beth. He basically figured he could have sex with her to shut up her questions. If Beth knew that Ian couldn’t love her, why the heck would she get involved with him?

(view spoiler)

Though, out of all of the historical romances I’ve read, this one was pretty good. Even though it had its slow points, I was pretty engaged in it the whole way through. It was an easy 2-day listen. Would I continue on with the series? Probably not. I just didn't like the main characters enough.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Madness of Lord Ian Mackenzie.

08/03/2016 marked as: read