Duckpondwithoutducks's Reviews > The Kingmaker's Daughter

The Kingmaker's Daughter by Philippa Gregory

Oct 02, 12

bookshelves: 2012-fiction-historical
Read from September 12 to October 02, 2012

The Kingmaker's Daughter is Anne Neville. Her father was known as the Kingmaker, as he was instrumental in deposing Henry VI from the throne of England, and installing Edward IV in his place ... and then reversing the situation. I have read several of Philippa Gregory's historical novels (A Respectable Trade, The Other Boleyn Girl, The Constant Princess, and The Boleyn Inheritance), and just like those ones, this one just did not completely satisfy me. I understand that when writing a historical novel you must use some artistic license, as you do not know people's conversations verbatim, and what exactly were people's motives and thoughts and feelings, but I do hate it when the historical facts are deliberately changed. As an example, the main character's sister Isabel's first child is spoken of as being a boy, when the record shows that it was a girl. That just bothers me. And in this book, as in the other books by the same author that I've read, there always seems to be a horrific childbirth scene. The graphic description seems gratuitous to me.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Kingmaker's Daughter.