Janice's Reviews > Jonathan Livingston Seagull

Jonathan Livingston Seagull by Richard Bach

Jan 05, 2009

bookshelves: religion
Recommended to Janice by: The Love of My Life
Recommended for: Anyone wanting to see further by flying higher
read count: 3

Ethan just finished reading this book to the kids, and I had to update my rating from a three to a four. I guess this book just meant more to me right now than it did when I read it in the past. And I think the fact that it is one of Ethan's favorite books and he read it with so much adoration kind of helped it to grow on me. I feel like there is so much going on in both our lives that is exciting, but that personally I have become a little stagnant with where I am going. It is like I have become a regular gull and I am just trying to survive and find something to eat rather than learning how to fly. There was this one line that really touched me and I haven't been able to get it out of my head. Jonathon asks an elder seagull, “Is there no such place as heaven?" "No, Jonathon, there is no such place. Heaven is not a place, and it is not a time. Heaven is being perfect...You will begin to touch heaven, Jonathon, in the moment that you touch perfect speed...Perfect speed, my son, is being there." It has really made me think about how much of what I do every day I am not really there for. I have gotten into a rut of going through a lot of motions that I do not really experience or enjoy. So one of my resolutions for this coming year is to experience perfect speed, to be there for every moment of my life and the life we are creating for our family. And for the inspiration to do that, I definitely give this short little book four stars.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Jonathan Livingston Seagull.

03/26 marked as: read