Grace's Reviews > Storm Front

Storm Front by Jim Butcher

Aug 10, 12

it was ok
Read in August, 2012

I get this is supernatural noir. I get that Harry's a detective who has his demons, that the police are a pain in his backside and troublesome dames are a feature of his landscape. What I didn't expect was to get bored.

Others may well like this. I'm not the biggest fan of magic fantasy, so I was never going to get sucked in by ritual or spell casting. And the core mystery was weak, in my opinion. And Harry's inner monologue didn't do it for me.

But I also don't get Murphy, AT ALL. She's a detective on the squad dedicated to things supernatural, and she keeps Harry on as a consultant. But then she spends a massive amount of time threatening him. She bullies him and threatens him and invades his space and it all seems over the top. Harry seems to regard her as a friend, and I have no clue why. She doesn't trust him and frequently treats him like dirt. She's actively nasty to him in person, and seems to be lashing out at him because she's not really doing much work on her end. I'm not sure what the author meant to do with Murphy, but she's striking me as a pretty poor cop, and the fact that Harry views her as a friend doesn't make me think well of him either.

It doesn't help that Harry comes off as... Not smart. He's partly lazy and partly just not curious. Add to that a couple of plot twists that land in his lap with little reason or context, but which allow him to make a leap of logic that moves the plot along in a direction it hasn't earned, and I'm not inclined to think of Harry as the sharpest tool in the shed.

Anyway, not my thing. Too frequently this sort of book contains plot points that can basically be summed up thusly: "Because MAGIC, that's why!". And I am not along for that ride.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Storm Front.