Charity's Reviews > To Kill A Warlock

To Kill A Warlock by H.P. Mallory

Aug 10, 2012

Read in August, 2012

If you looking for a fun, fast paced urban fantasy with out any pretense or deep character drama, then this is the book for you!

To Kill a warlock is the first installment in the Dulcie O’Neil series. This book reminded me of (dare I compare?) the Sookie Stackhouse novels. However, and here’s my caveat; it’s cleaned up in the bedroom department and laced with a bit more humor.

The main character, protagonist and first person POV is Dulcie O’Neil. She is a likable, saucy gal with a great sense of humor. Dulcie is very relatable, she may be strong and miss independent but she still possesses many human flaws (even though she is a fairy). She struggles with self-esteem and rejection issues, and hey, what women hasn’t walked through that raging inferno a few times in her life? So yeah, I found myself really rooting for ol’ Dulcie. Oh, and I just loved that she was an aspiring writer. We get a peek into Dulcie’s novel and writing process and it-is-a-hoot!

Her male counter parts and bff Sam are just delightful in there own ways. They each have very distinct personalities and play to their roles quite nicely. Sam, the bubbly and supportive friend, Trey the gross, kind of frat-boyish partner, Knight who is tall dark and sexy, Bram the snarky seductive vampire and Quill the handsome, encouraging boss. All of these characters played well off of one another and remained consistent and true through out the novel.

With murders to solve, a book to write, and betrayal looming around the corner Dulcie O’Neil is the girl,...er, um,... fairy, who can tackle it all!

A very fun read, that I defiantly recommend.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read To Kill A Warlock.