Emily's Reviews > The Fine Art of Truth or Dare

The Fine Art of Truth or Dare by Melissa Jensen

Aug 10, 2012

it was ok
Read from August 10 to 11, 2012

It's been compared to Pretty in Pink meets Anna and the French Kiss. Pretty in Pink reference? I totally get it. She's weird. He's popular. Their friends don't understand it. And he can be kind of a jackass, while she doesn't think too highly of herself.

But Anna? No. Sure, Ella's taking french and sucks at it while Alex rocks it, but that's pretty much where it ends.

Frankie is an adorable character. He was my favorite, along with finding the parallels between Pretty in Pink. It's quite similar, really. I detected a hint of My Big Fat Greek Wedding and She's All That, as well.

I read Jensen's other book, Falling in Love with English Boys. Or should I say, painfully skipped chapters and chapters at a time. It was dreadfully dull. The idea? Adorable. The execution? Not so much. Thankfully, Jensen was able to keep my attention most of the time, mainly when Ella was with Alex or her friends. However, the whole talking to her favorite dead artist like it was totally normal really took my attention away from how cute the story could have been if it was just a cute romantic comedy kind of thing. Also, there was a lot of describing Italian food. It would have turned out better as a movie.

One thing Pretty in Pink mastered that The Fine Art did not, was that no matter how good the story is, if it gets too long you're going to start losing people. Pretty in Pink- a perfect hour and a half. The Fine Art- way too long at almost 400 pages. I skimmed way more than I should have.

Overall, it kind of grabbed my attention. But more in the WTF kind of way with the whole Edward thing, and I had to find out if Alex and Ella ended up together.

I liked it... until I didn't anymore.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Fine Art of Truth or Dare.

08/11/2012 page 138
show 1 hidden update…

message 1: by Rebecca (new) - added it

Rebecca I bought this on my ereader ages ago but haven't gotten to it yet. Let me know how it is!

Emily I rated it 2 stars, but it's more like a 2.7593. Approximately.