Dean Olson's Reviews > Superman: Earth One, Vol. 1

Superman by J. Michael Straczynski

Aug 10, 12

bookshelves: comics, owned-comics

Now this was an interesting idea. JMS present another Superman Origin story which I believe is the 3rd or 4th in the last 20 years. But the difference is that this one is not used for the mainstream Superman. This is suppose to be a different Superman then we know. And that is. This used elements of angsty Clark from Smallville, and while I hate that show with a passion, that is not a bad thing. It makes more sense for Superman not to know his place in the world when he is young and new to Metropolis compared to when JMS tried to do the same thing to mainstream Superman in "Grounded". When Superman has been active for years and years. JMS can be an amazing writer but sometimes he doesn't have the chops to pull off his wild ideas like someone like Grant Morrison. For example his Wonder Woman storyline or most of his Amazing Spider-Man run. I like to think this is one of his strongest stories in his career. I enjoyed the updated Jimmy Olsen and I look forward to volume 2. I just hope he actually finishes his own work this time.
Likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Superman.