Andrea Guy's Reviews > The Book of Tomorrow

The Book of Tomorrow by Cecelia Ahern

Aug 10, 12

bookshelves: 2012-reads, chicklit, tlcblogtours, young-adult
Read in August, 2012

I never expected a YA novel form Cecelia Ahern. She's usually a go to when it comes to chick lit, which I admit I love. (Women's fiction if that other moniker disturbs you) There's so much to say about this book. Firstly the cover is stunning. It was one of the first things that appealed to me when I saw it. I liked Tamara. She reminded me a bit of Sutton (the dead girl) from Sara Shepard's The Lying Game. She's not someone you should really like, because she's nasty and bitchy and mean, but for some reason you do.

But the overall problem I had with the book is that it felt so long and drawn out and it was only about 300 pages. The pacing was slow. The book that is the focal point of the story didn't even start to play a part in the novel until about 100 pages in. Actually the whole "Book of Tomorrow" didn't really feel all that important to the story. What was important was the strange behavior of Rosaleen. The book just seemed to be added filler that got the story moving.

However, Tamara claims she has grown at the end of the story, and I didn't really see that. I think she's repaired relationships, and discovered things that were life changing, but really unto the end, she was a selfish brat. The only person she seemed to care about was Wesley though she did have a friendship with Sister Ignatius.

I enjoyed this book but not nearly as much as her other novels. The plot is unique, but she could have done so much more with it.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Book of Tomorrow.