MandyM's Reviews > The Square Peg

The Square Peg by Jane Davitt

Aug 10, 12

bookshelves: m-m-romance
Read in August, 2012

2.75 stars. Story of a bar named The Square Peg which (since the elderly owner's death) is now half-owned by two very different men. Shane, an expat Brit, who is the long-time manager and has a big emotional investment in The Square Peg. And Ben, the old man's neglected son, who wants to shed his stuffy accountant persona and prove he's got the talent and balls to make a go of it.

Who could resist that plot set-up. It's fabulously interesting. I continued to enjoy the story of the bar and it's denizens right throughout the novel.

But there was also the BDSM element which was fairly poorly handled. The characterisation of Ben as the Dom was bad. I couldn't take him seriously. He is full of tears, self-recrimination, and uncertainty. Quite a whiny girl in fact. Knowing he was inexperienced yet inexplicably ready to engage in abusive/dangerous behaviour with a submissive partner. Slapping/punching Shane in the face for talking to other people in the course of his job was in total conflict with the personality the authors gave him. Ben's domination during the sex scenes felt staged and fake and his Dom-speak felt like it was being read from a script. Shane, on the other hand, as the brash, damaged sub who liked to be knocked around was more believable and appealing. So a promising book which finally was a disappointing read for me.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Square Peg.

dateDown_arrow    newest »

message 1: by ttg (new)

ttg Wow, thanks for taking one for the team. I thought the premise sounded interesting, but I don't think this one is up my alley.

message 2: by Sagajo (new)

Sagajo BDSM seems truly difficult to write.

message 3: by Loopy (new) - added it

Loopy Thanks for the heads up!

MandyM I have to admit I'm not usually a BDSM reader but I've liked some recent authors like J.A. Rock so I tried this one. If you like BDSM the face slapping etc might not be a deal breaker for you. Check out Emma Sea's review for a more unbiased POV.;)

message 5: by MandyM (last edited Aug 10, 2012 05:40PM) (new) - rated it 3 stars

MandyM Sagajo wrote: "BDSM seems truly difficult to write."

Yes I think it must be very hard to get the right balance.

message 6: by Loopy (new) - added it

Loopy MandyM wrote: "Sagajo wrote: "BDSM seems truly difficult to write."

Yes I think it must be very hard to get the right balance."

I agree - too often it can come off the way it sounds like it did in this book. I'm not a fan, sometimes it's fine or even done well, and if the rest of the story grabs me, great but I wouldn't seek a book out for it. I'd also avoid one that sounds weak in that area, no matter how good the rest of the story was, it would be overshadowed.
I'll have to check out J A Rock

MandyM Loopy wrote: "I'll have to check out J A Rock..."

Definitely Loopy! Try Calling the Show or Wacky Wednesday

message 8: by Sherry (new)

Sherry That's too bad. The excerpt reads well but face-slapping/punching??!! It doesn't sound like one I would enjoy.

Ditto to ttg's comment of "taking one for the team!"