Philip's Reviews > The Walking Dead, Vol. 03: Safety Behind Bars

The Walking Dead, Vol. 03 by Robert Kirkman

Aug 10, 12

bookshelves: post-apocalypse, zombies, fiction-series, comics-graphic-novels
Read in August, 2012

I found the first book interesting mainly because I really enjoy watched the show, and so it was fun to compare the two. Volume 2 wasn't available in the library, so I skipped ahead to Volume 3. I was surprised to see that Volume 3 picks up just where Season 2 ended on TV -- I didn't realize that each season of the TV series apparently only represents one book. So the good news is, with something like a dozen books out already, the really excellent TV version should be around for a long time.

That said, I didn't enjoy this book -- Volume 3 -- as much as the first one. Not being able to picture scenes from the show in my head when reading the book (as I could with the first volume), I found this to be a fairly average comic -- okay drawings, predictable storyline (I figured out right away who the main "bad guy" would be), and fair-to-bad dialogue, (with Rick's wife being even more annoying than in the TV show -- and that's saying something).

What I did find interesting -- if a bit confusing -- were the obvious differences between the show and the comics, particularly in which characters survive and which die. And I will still go back and read Volume 2 to see how that differs from the show and links Volumes 1 & 3. But I doubt I'll continue reading the series -- I'd rather wait for and enjoy the show without the spoilers from the (in my opinion, far inferior) comics.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Walking Dead, Vol. 03.