S.A.'s Reviews > Skybound

Skybound by Aleksandr Voinov

Aug 10, 12

I confess. I was lucky enough to beta-read this so I'm more than a little biased.

First-person present tense is difficult to pull off. When it doesn't work, it's intrusive and the narrator can come over as self-absorbed. When it does work, I can get halfway through a story before I even realise what tense it's written it. 'Skybound' had me hooked from the start. The premise is different and intriguing. How often do we get to read a World War 2 story written from a German POV these days? How often are our sympathies immediately engaged. Set on an airfield near Berlin during the last days of the war, Voinov conveys the hopelessness and inevitability of defeat in a non-melodramatic, realistic manner. It was great to get a different perspective on those final days.

I was completely caught up in the story. The historical details were meticulous (to my inexperienced eye) and the relationship between the two main characters was intense, beautiful and understated. No steamy clinches here, just a gentle and deepening relationship between unlikely partners. I loved them both.

The story stayed with me long after I'd finished reading it. To me, that's a bloody good thing. It also means I'll happily read it again.

Most definitely recommend it.
4 likes · Likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Skybound.

Ilhem I can't wait!

julio Me too. From the first lines, I was hooked.