Eric's Reviews > Your Inner Fish: A Journey into the 3.5-Billion-Year History of the Human Body

Your Inner Fish by Neil Shubin

M 50x66
Nov 29, 08

Archaeology, anatomy, evolution...these are not things where I am well versed to give a thoughtful review, but since I've insulted this work with two stars, I should explain: I was awaiting the chapter that would make me reconsider myself as a fish and send me running to a swimming pool for relief - and did not find it.

Basically, this seems more like an overview of evolution and the title's idea seems like a last thought of many chapters. The diagrams are, at times, more relevatory than the prose. For example, four weeks after concepton, in what Shubin calls the tube-within-a-tube phase, a human resembles a fish - and we know that from the diagram. I liked Shubin's analogy of how long life has existed: if the earth's history were a calendar year, not until October would there be an organism with a head; and a human would not appear until December 31. Shubin is no doomsdayer, but I think the directors of the Doomsday Clock could certainly take his thoughts a couple minutes closer to midnight.
1 like · Likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Your Inner Fish.

message 1: by Elisabeth (new)

Elisabeth Good for you for backing up the two star review. I gave two stars once without explanation and got a follow up message (re: minor reprimanding) from the author. Disaster. All best from the midwest, Beth