Jess's Reviews > Poison Study

Poison Study by Maria V. Snyder

Apr 18, 12

bookshelves: fantasy, favorites, fiction, series, young-adult, own-to-re-read, own
Read from March 30 to April 07, 2012, read count: 1

Well, hello new favorite book series! This book was awesome.

Reasons Why Poison Study Is Awesome:

1. First and foremost, YELENA.

She is strong, ruthless, independent. She doesn't trust anyone, and she doesn't rely on anyone besides herself. She's not totally kickass, though. She's vulnerable and she has her weak spots. Girl's been through a lot, and I mean A LOT. But in the end, she doesn't let it get her down, and I love that.

2. HOLY PLOT TWISTS, BATMAN!

Poison Study had me guessing constantly. It kept me on my toes, and I never saw any of the twists and turns coming. It was fast-paced, and I truly had a hard time putting it down. Every time I'd think, "Just one more chapter...," BOOM! Something else would happen, and I'd just keep reading.

3. Characters, characters, characters!

Besides Yelena, even the rest of the characters were written very well, and I ended up feeling like I knew them. Valek = LOVE. Enough said. I'll let you experience that one for yourself. Ari and Janco were like the two older brothers I wish I had. They were fun and loyal, and they added spunk to the story. The "bad guys" were the kind you love to hate. Even the Commander was cool, and there was more depth to his character than I had originally thought.

4. Maria V. Snyder's world-building skills.

I'm not sure that this will make any sense, but my favorite kind of world-building, when it comes to fantasy novels, is when the author doesn't spend too much time justifying or describing their new world. The world and structure of Ixia just is. Maria V. Snyder tells you what you need to know and gives you just enough detail for you to be able to imagine it, but she doesn't force it on you. Like I said, Ixia just is. And that's what makes it believable and easy to slip into the story.

This definitely has to be one of my favorite Goodreads finds, and it comes with my highest recommendation. I recommend this to fans of fantasy and older YA readers (there is some heavy stuff in this book). Seriously, if you haven't read this yet, go out and pick up a copy. Trust me!
3 likes · Likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Poison Study.

03/30/2012 page 44
04/04/2012 page 266
74.0% "This book is AMAZING. Love!" 1 comment
04/29/2013 marked as: own-to-re-read
04/29/2013 marked as: own-to-re-read
show 4 hidden updates…

Comments (showing 1-6)

dateUp arrow    newest »

Shelli I liked this...I'm reading another book by this author right now.

Jess I just picked this up this morning, but I am really intrigued by the premise!

April YESSSSSSSSSS!

Jess Seriously, WHY did it take me years to finally read this?!

April Jess wrote: "Seriously, WHY did it take me years to finally read this?!"

Jess April wrote: "Jess wrote: "Seriously, WHY did it take me years to finally read this?!"

That's EXACTLY how I felt when I read it, also years after I found out about Poison Study :-)"

I am definitely Maria V. Snyder's newest fangirl! :) I should have known that I'd end up loving it--I always love the books you love haha!