Kayla's Reviews > A Field Guide to Getting Lost

A Field Guide to Getting Lost by Rebecca Solnit

Aug 10, 12

This book was recommended to me by a friend who swore by it, and while I admit that at first glance I thought the title sounded rather pretentious, I'm glad I took the suggestion. Maybe it's my inner wanderluster talking but I love tales of nomadism, and Solnit is a wonderful writer in this vein. As the title suggests, this book explores the different forms of loss and getting lost through a variety of anecdotes, compacted essays, historical references, hypotheses, Solnit's personal experiences and the like. It managed to be a happy read, a devastating read, at times funny, at times sad, but all around enlightening and I give kudos to Solnit for being able to achieve that. I had an intention when I set out to read this book, something I was planning to gain from the experience. I'm not all too sure what that was anymore, but in any case, I'm very satisfied with the perspective I obtained. It's one of those books you'll pass along to someone else, as my friend gave it to me, and as I have now given it to another.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read A Field Guide to Getting Lost.