Jess's Reviews > The Action Research Dissertation: A Guide for Students and Faculty

The Action Research Dissertation by Gary L. Anderson

Aug 31, 12

bookshelves: dissertation, writing, methods
Read from August 10 to 27, 2012

I'd like to hug Herr and Anderson for writing this book. I have been plagued by all kinds of doubts and insecurities, running around calling myself a "poor-excuse for a grad student" because of my commitment to prioritizing my work on-the-ground. I've read plenty on the various strands of Participatory Action Research (PAR) and done some reflection, but I still felt muddled.

The book speaks directly to doctoral students who embrace an action research paradigm. For me every page was like a sigh of relief: the clear framework to understand different approaches to PAR, concrete examples from other students who have "done it," and practical advice -- everything from dealing with dissertation committees to approaching IRB. I had gotten pretty far in thinking about my dissertation approach based purely on intuition and cobbling together my own reading, but this book gave me tools to organize my scattered thoughts.

It's going to be a lot of work, but now at least I know better where I'm going.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Action Research Dissertation.