Gina's Reviews > The Pagan Stone

The Pagan Stone by Nora Roberts

Nov 28, 2008

bookshelves: fantasy, own, romantic-suspense, paranormal-supernatural, thriller, suspense
Read in November, 2008 , read count: 1

A great ending to a good trilogy - even with too many over-stated conversations…

**Spoiler Alert** - review will contain spoilers

I soooo wanted to say a perfect ending to the trilogy, but I can’t. I was so looking forward to reading this one, to giving it a 5-star rating, like I do with most of NR’s novels, but I can’t.

We continue the Sign of Seven trilogy, this time with Gage and Cybil’s story. While it’s obvious to the reader that these two will end up together (every love story has to have an HEA), it was over-stated! Every time there was a conversation between them about them, it started with ‘not happening’ to ’sure but no strings attached’. There was doubt, then there was ‘could this work’, moving on to ‘I don’t do roots’. Okay, we got it already. Please move on to the story. While I did like how they fell in love, it was downplayed by all that talking and wondering and supposing. And I don’t usually say that about NR’s work. To say converstaion was over-stated, has to be a first. It actually made me think of the movie The Bachelor - not wanting to settle down.

I liked how they still hadn’t quite figured out how to kill the demon, how they were still researching every lead, every clue, every possibility, how Cybil didn’t want to quit with searching for an answer, even when those answers didn’t turn to the positive side. Although one scenerio was a bit of a stretch - combining Gage’s blood with the town’s water supply? I’d think that the blood would be way to diluted to actually make a difference. I don’t even think that should have been in the story as it was rather ridiculous, even for a suggestion.

I did like learning more about their pasts, but it could have used more development. I found there wasn’t enough to understand why Cybil is the way she is now. You learn what happened with her father, but it still wasn’t enough to understand Cybil. I did like the conversations as they discussed what to do and how. While all three women turning up pregnant was sort of cliched, I liked each separate reaction. I liked how they figured out the last of it, how Cybil interprets a dream/vision on the fly. Another cliche is how they sometimes had the same nightmare/dream; while a cliche, I thought it worked well with the story.

What happens between Gage and his father, and what happens to his father, was an unexpected surprise. But there is one part in this story that, while I was expecting it, I wasn’t expecting it happen that quick. When Gage reveals to Cybil a fake bloodstone that he bought, they decided a plan of action, to see if they could fool the demon, and to make it as believable as possible. While I was expecting what came next, I wasn’t expecting it to happen right on the next chapter. The fights/arguments that insued was totally believable; my heart started to pound and my hands were shaking, I had to put the book down when I found out it was the fake action they’d planned to use against the demon. She had written it so believable she had me fooled. Me? Yeah, me, LOL! And when a writer does that to me, they have a fan for life. I’ve been a fan of NR for 5 years, and I know that’ll never change.

So, great action, awesome plot, perfect ending. While some of the middle/scenarios left me wondering what NR was thinking, this reader enjoyed the book none-the-less, and I’m looking forward to Nora’s next story.
7 likes · flag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Pagan Stone.

11/28/2008 page 305