Alan's Reviews > The Way Toward Wisdom: An Interdisciplinary and Intercultural Introduction to Metaphysics

The Way Toward Wisdom by Benedict M. Ashley

Aug 10, 2012

After having grounded myself—such as with William A. Wallace, O.P.'s The Modeling of Nature: Philosophy of Science and Philosophy of Nature in Synthesis —in the River Forest / Aristotelean-Thomism epistemology that all intellectual knowledge comes through the senses, this book, my first on Metascience (more ambiguously called "metaphysics"), was a natural continuation and excellent introduction. Only via natural science can one come to understand Metascience. Metascience is becoming more necessary today for the unification of knowledge in our interdisciplinary, multicultural world where knowledge has undergone much fragmentation.

A natural continuation of this book is John Deely's excellent Four Ages Of Understanding: The First Postmodern Survey Of Philosophy From Ancient Times To The Turn Of The Twenty First Century , by far the best, latest book on the history of philosophy. Ashley frequently cites it in his book.

Vide the first chapter, this excerpt, John Deely's review, and L. Purcell's review or "The River Forest School and the Philosophy of Nature Today" by Benedict Ashley, O.P.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Way Toward Wisdom.