Allisonwcraig's Reviews > Working Stiff

U_50x66
Aug 10, 12

bookshelves: urban-fantasy
Read in August, 2012

I want to preface this by saying that I have really like Rachel Caine's books in the past, and thought that a zombie book by her would be a big winner. While there were many things I really liked about the book, it definitely came up lacking. The biggest problem for me was that the plot was a huge train wreck. Caine would (metaphorically) open a door for the characters to walk through, and suddenly they were in a completely different building and that plot line was completely forgotten. Several times I was left wondering, "but what about the....?" It drove me crazy.
As mentioned in several other reviews, the main character, Bryn, was also completely unbelievable. She was supposed to be a war veteran, but apparently that means that she has to rely on some men to take care of her. Yikes! I know she's had some hard times, what with being killed and coming back to life, but come on! And I don't know what was going on with the love interest guy, but it was weird and Caine never really explained what his hang-up was, so apparently she loved him because sparks flew, he was emotionally distant and possibly bipolar.
This was obviously the launching pad for a new series of books. Maybe Caine just had so much she wanted to say in this first book to establish the series that she couldn't build a cohesive story around just one event. I'm sure once the series gets going her previous fine writing will take over and a better story will be the result. For now, this felt like a book that was thrown together to get in on the zombie cult fascination while it was still hot, and a lot of the editing was neglected.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Working Stiff.