Kris's Reviews > Nerve

Nerve by Jeanne Ryan

Sep 18, 2012

bookshelves: review-copy, sci-fi-fantasy, books-reviewed
Read on September 16, 2012

This is an intense read. Just as Vee is sucked into the game, I was sucked into the read. From beginning to end, I couldn't tear my eyes away from the story until it was finally over. It was thrilling and addicting. Vee is an ordinary girl, quiet and unassuming. Then the guy she's crushing on practically dares her to try out for Nerve, and when she does, she makes it into the live rounds. With each round, the stakes go up, as do the temptuous prizes.

What made this read thrilling was the high stakes. It's scary in a way, because I was just as compelled by this story as many of the Watchers probably were to the live shows. Time flew before I realized it. That's the frightening thing about commercial culture. They know how to draw the players into the game just as they know what to do in order to keep Watchers viewing. Vee never tried to put herself into the spotlight until she felt the high, the power, of completing a dare successfully, and it changes her.

I did feel as though there were some loose ends in the story. While there was certainly a lot of action and adrenaline rushes, the characters weren't really well developed. It's hard to determine character motivation, and I feel like I only got to know the characters on a surface level. Some of the changes in the character were pretty sudden and not quite believable. Also, there's one important factor in Vee's relationship with her parents, and while it's hinted at, it isn't revealed until the very end, almost like a passing remark.

Overall, this is a great first novel, and I did enjoy it very much. If you're looking for a thrilling read, I recommend checking out Nerve. I am looking forward to seeing more works by Jeanne Ryan!

For more of my reviews, visit my blog Imaginary Reads.
Imaginary Reads

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Nerve.