steph 's Reviews > When You Wish Upon a Duke

When You Wish Upon a Duke by Isabella Bradford

Aug 10, 12

bookshelves: netgalley, books-read-in-2012, books-with-earls-dukes-viscounts, books-with-ladies-duchesses-visco, e-book, enjoyable, romance, romance-historical, own
Read on August 10, 2012 — I own a copy

4 stars (I would have given it 4.5, but the adventure plot right there at the end I thought unnecessary and took away from the story)

Confession time here: I love arranged marriages/marriage of convenience books. I love seeing the couples meet, marry and then start to slowly fall in love. Here was no exception. Charlotte is every inch a Earl's daughter and March every inch a Duke but from the moment they first meet and then later after they are married, they can't seem to keep their hands of of each other. Which is unseemly because HOW DARE A HUSBAND AND WIFE DESIRE EACH OTHER? Especially the Duke and Duchess of Marchborne. As Charlotte's aunt told her, "no man wants a mistress for a wife".

I will admit upfront there really isn't much of a plot to this book. Instead it's 300 pages of a man and a woman learning to grow and live and love with each other. The expectations they have of themselves, the expectations Society has of them as a Duke and Duchess, it quickly enthralled me and left me reading quite happily for two hours waiting for these two people to figure it all out. Which, eventually they did. Lovely. The slow pace of this book isn't for everyone but on a hot summer day like today when I couldn't move without dying, it was for me. Eagerly awaiting the next installment, er....Wlyder sister I mean.

*ARC PROVIDED BY NETGALLEY
1 like · flag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read When You Wish Upon a Duke.

Grace I love that you didn't waste ANY time.

steph IKR? It's because I have about ten books from Netgalley that get published between Sept 1 -Sept 4. So I'm trying to get through my backlist to get to them in a timely manner. Plus, all three of this series are up on NG. So if I like this one, I want to be able to request #2 and #3 before they get archived. I HAVE A SYSTEM!

message 3: by Katie (last edited Aug 10, 2012 11:45AM) (new) - rated it 4 stars

Katie Oooh, are you far enough to say yay or nay? BECAUSE LOVING THE DESCRIPTION. WANT TO READ RIGHT NOW.

Katie Haha, okay, I checked it out and am reading it now (just started). But I'm still interested in your opinion!

steph I FINISHED IT. IT LEFT ME GRINNING.

Katie YAY! Looking forward to reading more. (Also: Set in the 1700's!!!)

Grace I really want to read this!! But none of my libraries have it yet! :(

steph 1700's books are the best. I think I read too much set in the 1800's. And no Grace, boooooo.

Grace NEVERMIND I FOUND IT. The ebook has 11 holds for 1 copy, but THERE IS A MMP AVAILABLE. Going to have to haul ass to Queens to get it, but WHATEVER. I don't care.

Katie Oooh, and now I read your review. YES. MUST GET TO READING SOON.

Grace, YES. I had to make an actual trip to an actual library to get it, but I JUST WANTED A COPY.

Grace Yeah, review has me wanting to read it ASAP.

I wouldn't mind making a trip to the library if it weren't the library system that is the LEAST CONVENIENT FOR ME TO GET TO. Must see if there's anything else I want if I'm going to be going there next weekend. (I have to put this on hold and have them ~guarantee it for me because I am not going out there only for the website to have LIED TO ME.)

message 12: by Jess (new) - rated it 3 stars

Jess On hold! I hate you all.

Grace You're welcome.

(This one is Steph's fault, though. I SWEAR.)

Katie It's goooood. Except for the part where the next two aren't out yet. :(

steph (This one is Steph's fault, though. I SWEAR.)

I REGRET NOTHING.