Blue's Reviews > Reamde

Reamde by Neal Stephenson

Aug 10, 12

Read in July, 2012

I listened to this book read by Malcolm Hillgartner. He did an EXCELLENT job of switching between accents so I alway knew which character was speaking...really an incredible feat with such a large and diverse cast.

I was expecting science fiction...and really, the only thing different in this world is the existence of a video game that allows players to convert virtual money in the game into real US currency. Otherwise, everything in the book seemed at least possible to me. (Sure, the strange chain of events is ridiculous...but hey, that's part of the fun.) Maybe I'm a little biased because the book starts at a family reunion in Iowa.

I thought this book was a cool exploration of technology, creativity, money, terrorism, gangsters and the usefulness of being able to use a weapon. I have never before read a book that made me think, "I really should learn how to use a gun."

There are a few lulls in the action with a lot of tech talk, but I found those to be interesting as well. Overall, Stephenson has redeemed himself (mostly) from the overly long Baroque Cycle trilogy. (I do wish he would return to his crazy sci-fi writing like Snow Crash...but this book will do nicely in the meantime...)
Likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Reamde.