Kathryn's Reviews > Troubling a Star

Troubling a Star by Madeleine L'Engle

Aug 10, 12

bookshelves: 2012-reads, american, childrens, young-adult
Read in August, 2012

First of all, NO ZACHARY GRAY. YAAAAAAAAYYYY!!!

Troubling a Star is the last of the Austin family chronicles (Wasp isn't traditionally considered part of this same group, is it?). In this book, Vicky visits Adam in Antarctica and finds herself in the middle of international intrigue as a result.

But the book really isn't about international intrigue. It is, again, about Vicky growing up. Here, she's returned to her hometown of Thornhill and found that she can't slip back into the same old life; her experiences in New York and her last summer with her grandfather have changed her so that she doesn't quite fit in with her old friends anymore. She still fits in with Adam, though, and on her trip down to Antarctica, she discovers that she can handle herself well in an adult world.

In general, I like the Murry family books better than the Austin family books. The former tend to have more in the way of plot (the resolution of the international intrigue is particularly dull; it all happens while Vicky's asleep), and they're also more about fantasy and a little less about politics. These last two Austin books (Ring and Star) in particular have the most glorification of Nature and lamentation of the fallen nature of man. It's a little annoying to read these books all at once; the focus on the superiority of supposedly peaceful animals (I am still laughing at the dolphin thing) to warlike man is childishly naive. Kind of reminds me of The Book of Merlyn and its emphasis on Homo ferox.

Nevertheless, I do still like Troubling a Star. It's perfectly serviceable YA.
Likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Troubling a Star.