Erin Young's Reviews > The Song of Achilles

The Song of Achilles by Madeline Miller

Aug 10, 12

Read in August, 2012

I write this review with full knowledge that at this juncture in time, I am not the most coherent of reviewers. Ie. my brain is fried people. So take anything I say with a grain of salt right now. I've been logging long hours in front of my computer on trains, in buses,campground and hotel rooms.

That said. I see nothing wrong with the Song of Achilles. Certainly it was interesting to read and as a fan of Greek mythology I enjoyed how well she had researched her subject. Nonetheless, I felt that this book could not compare, for example, to the lyricism of Seamus Heaney's retelling of Beowulf. Probably not a fair comparison as his was a translation and this was a original work. It is lyrical in places, for a great deal of it.

Yet something didn't quite come together for me. I never quite entered into the concerns of the characters. I wasn't quite swept away by the prose. It all felt a bit wooden. Patroclus is a bit too much of a gusher to boot. I'd like to see a bit more conflict between the lovers, more uncertainty.

And that's about all I can squeeze out of my fractured brain today. Good, not great for me. Very popular with others, so you may still want to check it out.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Song of Achilles.