Steve Miyamoto's Reviews > The New Bill James Historical Baseball Abstract

The New Bill James Historical Baseball Abstract by Bill James

Aug 02, 07

bookshelves: all-timefavorites

Best historical book on baseball from the founder of sabermetrics, which is the modern statistical analysis of players. (Zzzzzzzzzz) Yet, it is the stories of the people are what brings life to the book.

From one of the earlier editions he writes about Mordecai "Three Finger" Brown, who was an early 20th century pitcher who lost two fingers in a farming accident. He was able to throw a ball with a motion unlike any other player because of his loss and became a Hall of Famer because of it. James wrote, "Everyone starts out unequal. The object of the game is to use what you've been given to try and win."

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The New Bill James Historical Baseball Abstract.

dateDown_arrow    newest »

message 1: by Spiros (new)

Spiros The key to Bill James: despite the fact that he is obsessed with statistics, he is a brilliant writer who can tell a compelling story. He is a dork with the soul of a poet. My good friend (and Commissioner of the fantasy baseball league which he twisted my arm to join) Johnnycakes is a total meathead for giving this essential Baseball reference only three stars; I promise that I'll get him to see the light.