Meg - A Bookish Affair's Reviews > Under the Never Sky

Aug 10, 2012

liked it
bookshelves: 2012, fiction, young-adult
Read on August 10, 2012

I had heard some good things about this book but this was not my favorite.

The story itself was very interesting. You have two people from two very different places who are trying to put together the pieces of the puzzle for a couple different things. I liked that the story kept me reading in order to figure out what was going on in Aria and Perry's world.

I liked the characters. This whole story was much more character driven than anything else. Aria is a really awesome character. When she first leaves Reverie, she's sort of naive. She is afraid of everything and Perry kind of helps her get acclimated. They make a good team. I loved that we got to see a transformation of Aria through the book. By the end of the book, she's turned out to be a really strong character.

Here's where the book fell flat for me. One of the things that I love in dystopian books is good world building. I love when you can really feel like what it must be like to be in the book's world. In this book, you're sort of thrown into the deep end and it was just really confusing. I couldn't exactly figure out what was going on. I spent the first half of the book wanting to know more about the world. You do eventually get a little bit of towards the end when Aria has the big revelation about her origin and what's going on.

I did like some of the little bit of technology that we get to see in the book. The 'Smarteyes' which are really cool and definitely creative. I also liked the idea of the Realms. I also thought it was interesting about how people in this brave new world are more into genetic engineering than just regular ol' procreation.

Bottom line: This is a dystopian for the character lover!

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Under the Never Sky.