Laura's Reviews > The Homemade Pantry: 101 Foods You Can Stop Buying and Start Making

The Homemade Pantry by Alana Chernila

Aug 10, 2012

Read in August, 2012

This is a beautiful DIY book. What really separates it from other, similar books is the photos of the author and her family. She's also incorporated a small essay about each recipe - where it came from, why she loves it. It's a very personal book, and you feel like she is sharing a part of her life with you.

This is a great general DIY intro - the recipes are pretty general, and include lots of things you'd use every day. Some things, like pasta, aren't that original. However, I can't wait to make my own ricotta - she makes it sound soooo easy.

The downside of this book is that many of the recipes are influenced by other chefs (David Lebovitz, Mollie Katzen), and if you've read those books or used their recipes, their versions may be better. Also, I've already got several recipes for pudding. . . I really don't need to buy this book for things like that (or pizza, or sandwich cookies, or even ketchup).

So, the book didn't get 5 stars because a lot of the material is covered more specifically elsewhere (and possibly more thoroughly elsewhere). However, if you've been wondering how to make your own pop tarts and haven't already learned how, this is the book for you.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Homemade Pantry.