Chris's Reviews > The Search Committee

The Search Committee by Tim Owens

Aug 10, 12

bookshelves: non-fiction
Read in January, 2012

During the last few months I’ve talked with and been observed by several search committees. The title and concept of this book stood out to me. It seemed current and important, a must read.

In Tim Owens first book, he tracks a team of folks who climb on a bus and go out in search of a new pastor for their church. The story jumps between segments of their personal lives, the trip, their church and interim pastor. Initially I found myself annoyed with the transitions. I wanted to follow one of the plots to completion. The search committee process he utilizes is also quite different from what I am used to, so it seemed a stretch.

I’m glad I stayed with this read and completed the book. If you are a pastor or church leader, you should give this book a chance. What I discovered is a conclusion that made a great impact on me as a preacher, pastor and past failure.

Sometimes search committees go looking for what they want on the outside and other times God leads them gently through life’s turmoil. Not to a Pastor who ‘fixes’ everything, but rather one who struggles on life’s journey with them and points the way to Jesus. The wounded healer is the very best kind of encourager.

As you turn these pages you will not find every problem solved. You may not like every character. But you are reminded how much God cares for us. He is working our stories together to show His redeeming grace and that is always a story worth reading.

Tyndale House Publishing provided me with a complimentary copy of this book in exchange for this review.
1 like · likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Search Committee.