FashionDayDreamer's Reviews > Sea Change

Sea Change by Aimee Friedman

Aug 10, 12

"I've been wanting to do this ever since I saw you yesterday afternoon." That's how quick their "romance" blossoms. It's over and done in a matter of days. Bish, bash, bosh, kiss here, grope there, add in a little conflict between the Mum and bam! - you've got yourself a modern day teen version of romance and development. How do you feel? Sick? Bored? Thankful for the convenience of it being fast paced? Loving the absence of character and plot so you can place yourself within the empty vessel that is Miranda?

The protagonist, Miranda, is the same old same old cliche lead. Super-smart, super-boring, super-normal, super-I'm-not-pretty-but-get-my-popular-friends-to-dress-me-and-I-beat-all-of-them-in-the-beauty-department.

Nothing wrong with this, but come one, HOW many books are the same? Sure, readers of a certain genre love consistency, but even twins can never be exactly the same.

Basically, nothing happens in this story. Miranda goes to this island, finds a book and chest about mermaid things, falls in love with a boy as soon as she arrives and goes home.

It's never revealed what Leo is. I have a hard time believing Miranda, this scientific boffin, would succumb to the idea that mermaids are real. She believes it far too quickly. That's not even the problem. She's not even shocked. Obviously no one can know what they'd be like if they found out a mythical being is real, but myths plus science does not mix well. If a scientist saw God in the sky, would they immediately be converted? No, they'd try and form a scientific reason as to what they saw. That's not even it; Miranda never saw anything that concreted her belief. Sure she saw red and gold things swimming around in the ocean - wtf is up with mermaids loving red and gold? Explanation never given - but she never actually saw a tail (apart from when she was partly unconscious due to nearly drowning). Okay, maybe it could have worked on someone who doesn't love and breathe science so much. There was evidence (like Leo's reluctance to go into the water at night and other things), but nothing that would make you jump to conclusions. Or rather, in Miranda's case, walk to a conclusion, since not one heart beat was raised at her findings.

It is famously said that without conflict there is no story. The only "conflict" I read in this book was Miranda having a little spat with her mother, which took up a scene or two out of the whole story.

When I picked up this book, I was hoping for an alluring story that would have a lot more thought and care behind the writing. Instead, I was presented with the normal "because the main characters are young you must dumb down your writing." I don't mean dumbed down by not adding in big words. I mean dumbing it down in a way that left huge gaps between every line (metaphorically speaking). Empty writing, I'd call it.

I must admit, I get a feeling that even the writer thinks her own story is crap, or at least not worthy of continuation. "So, what's the future for Miranda and Leo, do you think?" Author replied: "Well, in many ways that's up to the reader to imagine what happens, but do keep in mind - Leo tells Miranda that they will get their happy ending. I do have some ideas for a sequel floating around,(pun intended!) but I'm not sure if one will actually happen down the road. I encourage fans to let me know what they'd like to see happen between Leo and Miranda!"

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Sea Change.