Noel's Reviews > The Unfinished Work of Elizabeth D.

The Unfinished Work of Elizabeth D. by Nichole Bernier

Aug 12, 12

bookshelves: e-book, lit-and-fiction, women-s-lit
Read from August 10 to 12, 2012

“They say that every person has 3 faces - or facets - the one they show the world, the one they see as themselves, and their real self.
Elizabeth D. died in a plane crash in her late 30's leaving behind a husband, kids and a trunkful of journals which she leaves to her friend Kate to read and dispose of as thinks fit. It is within those journals that Elizabeth's 2 other faces begin to shine through and we get to know the real woman behind the facade.

Kate takes this job seriously and over the course of a summer, delves into these journals learning things about her friend that she never in a million years could have imagined, and while doing so, discovers bits about herself which lead to some thoughtful analysis of life, marriage, children, fears and anxieties and truthfulness.

I've given the book 5 stars because it's one of those books that had me gripped by the end of page 1 and kept my interest not only until the end, but had me thinking about passages far into the night, talking about parts of the book with my husband and musing over some of the extremely insightful parts of the book that I highlighted, read and re-read.

Favorite Quotes:

"The way her children's faces would look as adults at ages when they would barely remember hers, no longer certain of what was a memory and what was a photograph posing as one." This happened to me after my father died when I was 12. Still does in fact.

"Brilliance does not always come with social dexterity." So true!!!

"..The nostalgia outweighed the advantages of a more luxurious place." So often we base our decisions on nostalgia. Here they were talking about renting the same bungalow for summer vacation.

"It was a gift, solitude. But solitude with another person, that was an art." She's talking about spending time with her husband in his study, doing something while he was on the computer. It's an entire paragraph and so well said.

Thanks to Books On the Nightstand podcast for recommending this. ”

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Unfinished Work of Elizabeth D..

message 1: by Nichole (new)

Nichole Thank you for your thoughtful comments! It's quite an extraordinary experience to see readers quote portions of the book that touched them. Thank you so much for taking the time to do it.
Best,
Nichole

Noel Nichole wrote: "Thank you for your thoughtful comments! It's quite an extraordinary experience to see readers quote portions of the book that touched them. Thank you so much for taking the time to do it.
Best,
Ni..."

My pleasure! I hope to see more of your work in the future!