Lou's Reviews > The Orphan Master's Son

The Orphan Master's Son by Adam Johnson

Aug 10, 12

bookshelves: arc, historical-fiction
Read on August 10, 2012

There are some brutal and harrowing truths in here on how people rule with a dark heart, error, violence and corruption. When mixing truth with fiction I feel in my reading experience I want the story to flow and hook the reader make the characters show and make you feel the environment. The horrors have been already created there in history, when a writer takes from others horrors, when I read I want the author to do much more than just retell facts but immerse and make me feel the darkness.
The story lost me for the first half. This was provided for free to review but that does not influence my review to liking the story. Writing is a hard journey and it does takes time to write a novel but money is not in abundance.

I think what the main problem was with this for me was I felt I had been taken on a detour, the long way round, instead of straight to the crux and meat of the story.

I did not like way the story was written you might, some here do like it, everyones keen eye enjoys different things, tastes and smells.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Orphan Master's Son.

dateDown_arrow    newest »

message 1: by Jo Anne (new)

Jo Anne B Thanks for your honest review.

message 2: by Lou (new) - rated it 3 stars

Lou Jo Anne wrote: "Thanks for your honest review."
Thanks for reading it I hope I don't put you off as I am a minority on this view. It's not the story but the way the reading was going for me.