Nancy's Reviews > The Sweetness of Forgetting

The Sweetness of Forgetting by Kristin Harmel

Aug 09, 2012

Read in August, 2012

Absolutely moving, charming, and full of hope and symbolism. There is so much to the story that touches on so many levels and important topics. The book opens with Hope, a middle aged mother with learned pessimism. Barely hanging onto her family bakery, she is also struggling with her 12 year old daughter and coldness she feels in her own heart, her feelings of inadequacy she carried from childhood, and her ex-husband. The icing on the cake is her French grandmother fading into Alzheimer's.

Rose's story is slowly revealed throughout the novel and redefines Hope's identity. Rose lived through WWII where she met and married an American while in Spain. But there were people she loved and lost and tried to forget. Before she does, she asks Hope to search for their fates. Her goal is to give Hope her true legacy.

I could not put the book down. It ranks up there with a book by Kristen Hannah but with a historical fiction flavor that had me nearly in tears as the characters relive the Holocaust. Bring tissues but be prepared to feel uplifted.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Sweetness of Forgetting.

message 1: by Jo Anne (new) - added it

Jo Anne B I love Kristin Hannah and historical fiction. Sounds like one for me. Glad I read your review.