Tracy's Reviews > Beasts

Beasts by Joyce Carol Oates

I started reading this but it was really dark and strange (and usually, even though I gravitate to those subjects) so I had to put it down. I might want to try it again if I'm into that extremely odd mood.
Likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Beasts.

message 1: by Meg (new) - rated it 4 stars

Meg This was hard for me to get through, too, for the same reasons. It's a disturbing read, and I cringed through a lot of it, but I'd say go for the finish! Worth it in the end.

message 2: by Tracy (new) - added it

Tracy Okay, I will try it again! I was trying to read her "Foxfire" but it started to bore me and disturb me... but at least this one's a novella... Thanks! :)

message 3: by Meg (new) - rated it 4 stars

Meg Yeah, from what I know of her she deals with some pretty disturbing stuff. This may be the only Oates I'll ever read - unless you have high praise for Foxfire when you finish it. How's the new job going? Send me an email and let me know. :)

message 4: by Tracy (new) - added it

Tracy I tried to read a couple of her short story books, "The Female of the Species" and "The Musuem of ... Dr. Moses" something, thinking, "okay, short stories, I can handle those." Um, no. I only made it through a couple. I wish I could find more of hers (stories & novels) along the calibar of "Where Are You Going, Where Have You Been?", which was a bit disturbing but without all the horrible of child serial rapists and killers and all that. Foxfire was really well written, kind of stream-of-consciousness, a bit like Virgina Wolf, and is completely better than that horrible movie from the 1990s. But I... will have to go back to it. Just quick: job is clerical & boring, but it's something and I know I have to be grateful for it since it's money and another notch on my resume should I actually make it through the whole summer. What about you & the fam? Any plans for this summer?

message 5: by Tracy (new) - added it

Tracy that should say "horrible details of..."
Foxfire is also set in the 1950s, not the 1990s as the movie would have you believe. :p And Legs has long blonde hair for the first half of the book. Anyways.