Holly's Reviews > Nevermore

Nevermore by Kelly Creagh

5++++ stars

It has been so long since I was this excited about a book. Since I was so caught up in a story that all I wanted to do was read. All I wanted to do was be in that world, as creepy and unsettling as it may have been. I wanted to be there....and Creagh totally made me feel like I was right in the middle of all the nightmarish beauty that was Nevermore.

There have been countless reviews detailing the plot (which is beyond brilliant and original, especially in the YA genre), so i will settle on just giving you a quick rundown of what I thought of the book as a whole.

The world building was perfectly done, and Creagh's gorgeous, almost lyrical writing style is perfectly suited to this gothicly nightmarish fairy tale.

As for the characters. Holy hell. Where do I even start? I went into this almost expecting Isobel to be this perfectly blonde Barbie doll, and was just hoping I would be able to read the book without her annoying me too much. Imagine my surprise when I realized within the first few pages, that Isobel was so much more than just a pretty face. She was a strong, kick ass character that I ended up loving deeply. And Varen...well, I am not exactly sure what it is about him that made me fall under his spell, but he also ended up capturing my heart.

One of the BEST aspects of Nevermore, were the shadowy Dreamworld characters. I will freely admit to my unexplanable love for Pinfeathers. He has to be one of the most memorable and strangely endearing (???!!!) villains I have ever come across. I don't understand why I ended up loving his creepy character so much...but there it is. Also, I will own up to a slight fangirly crush on Reynolds. He's a badass who has a lot to answer for...but a badass nonetheless.

Bottom line, this was one of the most incredibly imaginative, and obsessively readable books I have found in ages. Definitely one of the best books I have read all year, and in fact one of my all time favorites as well.

It is fitting that Nevermore, much like the characters of Isobel and Varen, ended up being so much more than I expected. I can't wait for the sequel.

My YT Channel: http://www.youtube.com/user/Bookgasmic
My blog: http://ravingbookaddict.blogspot.com/

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Nevermore.

Quotes Holly Liked

Kelly Creagh
“My beautiful, my Isobel. My Love. You ask me to wait. And so I wait.
For all of this, I know, is but a dream.
And when, in sleep, at last we wake,
I will see you again.”

Kelly Creagh
“She'd never been kissed like that before - like the shell of her soul had evaporated.”

Kelly Creagh
“You're a dream. Like everything else.”

08/10/2012 page 106
20.0% 2 comments
08/11/2012 page 190
35.0% "This book is kicking my ass with it's awesomeness."
08/12/2012 page 283
52.0% "What is it about Veran that makes him so fascinating? I need to get myself a broody, Goth boyfriend. ;)"
08/12/2012 page 343
63.0% "Holy Sh*t!!! Pinfeathers! *flails*" 5 comments

dateDown_arrow    newest »

message 1: by Helena (new) - added it

Helena Ison I just wanted to say I loved your review and now I want to read this book so badly!!!

Holly Helena wrote: "I just wanted to say I loved your review and now I want to read this book so badly!!!"

Thank you so much! My love for this book knows no bounds. LOL