Alissa's Reviews > Gang Leader for a Day: A Rogue Sociologist Takes to the Streets

Gang Leader for a Day by Sudhir Venkatesh

Nov 28, 08

bookshelves: nonfiction, staff-suggestion, 2008
Read in February, 2008

I first heard of Sudhir Venkatesh while reading Freakonomics, where the chapter “Why do drug dealers still live with their moms?” explores the financial realities of a gang and was based on Sudhir’s time spent observing a Chicago gang.

So I was eagerly awaiting this book (which is subtitled: a rogue sociologist takes to the streets, rogue apparently being in vogue now since Levitt’s book was about a rogue economist.) and it lived up to my expectations.

The author documents his 6 years (? I think, as the time-line isn’t super clear) spent “observing” in a Chicago projects and the access the gang leader, J.T. gave him. The book is readable, and does raise issues, but not in a preachy way. Sudhir’s struggle about the legality of what he is doing is interesting and realistic. It’s also a rare look at what it’s like to live in the “projects.” (something I know nothing about). The ending comes quickly and a bit anticlimactically, as in 1996 the Robert Taylor Homes are set for demolition, and Sudhir’s graduate studies have come to an end and he’s off to Harvard.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Gang Leader for a Day.