Visionary's Reviews > Dream Lake

Dream Lake by Lisa Kleypas

Aug 09, 2012

Read from August 09 to 10, 2012

So I made no secret of my anticipation for this book. In fact I wanted Zoe’s and Alex’s book right after reading Rainshadow Road. Alex’s knightly heroics against the evil and vile spider won me over! Imagine my short-temper and impatience for this book.

To make certain I got this book on release day I pestered my husband for a gift card to pre-order. However my copy did not arrive. There was a problem and it was shipped back to Amazon much to my displeasure (that I let Amazon and UPS know)

Two days after release day I finally get my copy and life keeps butting in! Bad! Very very bad. So I finally get some reading in… and as I feared I get so sucked into the words and phrases that the world around me disappeared, enough that I am laying on the floor with my doggies when the boom of thunder spooks me where arms go flying akimbo.

144 pages in - Kleypas glosses and refreshes us on the important bits of Christmas Eve at Friday Harbor and Rainshadow Road, catching us up to speed for Dream Lake. It is neat to see the behind the scenes of those two books with this one. In the time scale Rainshadow and Dream Lake overlap.

Zoe - there was just something wholesome about her character that gripped me. Usually I latch onto the strong heroines, the snarky ones. The ones with a Xena complex. Zoe’s not like any of that but neither is she whiny or weak.

Really it was great to see when her relationship with her cousin Justine was formed. And it broke my heart on the circumstances of childhood. It made me want to throttle her father but I had a passing indifference to her mother.

Loving the spectral element of the tale and that there is more to the story. Christmas eve and Rainshadow both had this magical quality infused with the words and phrases. Dream Lake has that bit of paranormal element (ghost part)

On page 262 - WARNING - this book will make you hungry for food. Trust me. Reading Kleypas describe how Zoe makes her food, using food metaphor (you can tell the author really got into the character of a chef) and stuff... it was like reading the Food Network channell. Some instances I was like "Lucky Bastard" because I got hungry reading about it.

Last twenty pages I got a bit disgruntled - oh nothing towards the book but events keeping me from the book. It is great to know that Kleypas did not lose her unique touch with this series. And well now I am speculating this new person introduced - who Alex is going to be working with could be in fact Justine's future mate. I also loved the little bit about Justine we met.
1 like · flag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Dream Lake.

08/10/2012 page 242
show 1 hidden update…

Adria (Romance Reviews) I really want to read this one. This series is not my usual style but I found myself really getting involved with the characters.

Visionary Told my friend.. I love Kleypas's historical books but she did something I can not identify with the Nolan/Friday Harbor books. There is this magical quality without actual magic being apart of the story. The characters, the place it touches a part of the heart

Adria (Romance Reviews) Visionary wrote: "Told my friend.. I love Kleypas's historical books but she did something I can not identify with the Nolan/Friday Harbor books. There is this magical quality without actual magic being apart of the..."

Yeah they're sweet without being off putting for me. The characters are memorable without being annoying. I can't wait to read this book. I hate being left dangling.

Visionary I'm to page 162 and I really did not want to put this book down. I wanted this book since Rainshadow Road... and I won the ARC of it. So it was a long wait for me