Eric_W's Reviews > The Facts of Life: Science and the Abortion Controversy

The Facts of Life by Harold J. Morowitz

Sep 29, 13

bookshelves: current-affairs, politics, sociology
Read in January, 1999

Harold J. Morowitz, professor of biology, and James Trefil, who teaches physics, both at George Mason University, have produced what I consider to be one of the seminal books on abortion that I have read. They examine the concepts of "life" and humanness. They point out that at the molecular level we are indistinguishable from plants and bacteria -- on a chemical level our cells function the same as brewer's yeast, a single cell organism; and we share a 98.5% genetic (DNA coding) with chimpanzees -- which are also "alive." Therefore, the important question one must ask is at what point the fetus or zygote acquires those characteristics that make us human, for no one would deny that we are indeed profoundly different from other forms of life. The point at which humanness is acquired (not personhood, which is a legal concept) becomes important to help distinguish between the rights of the mother and those of the fetus.

An enormous amount of change occurs from conception to birth, and the authors have examined the biological and scientific evidence to determine at what point this humanness is acquired. From a biologist's point of view, at conception, "two previously existing living things come together to form another living thing." Traditionally the anti-abortion advocates have argued that because the DNA genetic code exists at conception, that is when "life" begins. Morowitz and Trefil suggest that is like saying a building is complete when the blueprints are done. The combining creates the DNA blueprint, but dead tissue excised in a hospital has the same DNA blueprint, and cancerous tumors contain genetic uniqueness, yet no one would call them "life" worthy of preservation. Not to mention the fact that only about 1/3 of all conceptions lead to a successful birth -- nature performs abortions at a much higher rate than humans. (Research being done on parthenogenesis -- birth without conception -- indicates that unfertilized eggs can be stimulated to divide and begin the development of a complete adult: a Gloria Steinem fantasy come true.)

To make a long, but fascinating, story short, the authors propose that humanness begins at the moment when the cerebral cortex is formed and the synapses begin functioning. This is not a unique nor new position. The Jesuit scholar Teilhard de Chardin and the Catholic theologian Bernard Haring have both written that the cerebral cortex is the "center of all personal manifestations and activities." It is here that speech, conscious movement, visual information and sensory stimuli are all processed. The enlarged cerebral cortex is unique to humans, and it becomes a functioning entity sometime between 25 and 30 weeks of development. Coincidentally, that is also when electroencephalographic readings take place. (The absence of EEG readings is now widely used as a determination of death.) Teilhard de Chardin, who was a paleontologist, as well as a theologian, regarded the "development of an enlarged cerebral cortex as almost a second creation -- as a sign from God that humanity is, indeed, special, regardless of the fact that we share a common ancestry with all other life." Hence the authors recommend that in the conflict of rights, until the fetus achieves synapses in the cerebral cortex, at about 7 months, the woman shall choose and her rights must predominate. After 7 months, a loss of certainty occurs and one can no longer deny with certainty the humanity of the fetus, and its rights must be considered and protected.

This book will probably not solve the abortion dilemma, but it goes a long way toward providing a rational and scientific basis for evidence of what constitutes humanness and at what point we achieve that distinction. It should be required reading.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Facts of Life.

dateDown_arrow    newest »

message 1: by Jennie (new)

Jennie Fascinating, both the review and the book. Interesting that the authors conclude humanness at 7 months; it is far beyond what is "acceptable" for abortion here. I'm sure this book is very unpopular with a certain crowd, but I think I shall add it to my reading list...

message 2: by Eric_W (last edited Apr 06, 2012 06:04AM) (new) - rated it 5 stars

Eric_W Jennie wrote: "Fascinating, both the review and the book. Interesting that the authors conclude humanness at 7 months; it is far beyond what is "acceptable" for abortion here. I'm sure this book is very unpopular..."

Yes, I suspect the crowd pushing for a legal definition of personhood at conception wouldn't come close to their pov.

It's interesting that Blackmun's opinion in Roe v Wade (http://www.law.cornell.edu/supct/html...) used much of the same science presented by Morowitz and Trefil to come up with his trimester decision which would give the state an interest in the unborn child only after the second trimester. As an aside Randall Balmer in Thy Kingdom Come: How the Religious Right Distorts Faith and Threatens America reports on a meeting he attended of evangelicals in the early seventies. They were looking for an issue around which they could create a political movement. Until then the hot-button issue had been divorce, but since their preferred candidate, Ronald Reagan, had been divorced they needed something else and settled on abortion. Roe v Wade then fell in their laps as the perfect target and that's how we wound up where we are today.

message 3: by Jennie (new)

Jennie And sadly, it seems to be an argument that they are winning. The erosion to women's health and access to abortion are frightening in this country. It's charming how the issues the religious right takes up tend to come back to gender equality.

Speaking of which, The Politics Of Lust would have some interesting tie-ins. The discussion about female sexuality and reproductive rights touches on Roe v Wade and several other issues. Not based on science, but an interesting history and look at cultural factors in the US regarding sex and reproduction.

message 4: by Eric_W (last edited Apr 06, 2012 10:45AM) (new) - rated it 5 stars

Eric_W Jennie wrote: "And sadly, it seems to be an argument that they are winning. The erosion to women's health and access to abortion are frightening in this country. It's charming how the issues the religious right ..."

Politics of Lust sounds quite interesting. Just ordered it for my Kindle (love that.) Perhaps not so ironically, I have always felt that the abortion debate had less to do with life than with sex and the desire of the pro-life people to punish those who had sex for any purpose other than procreation. "By God, if they can fool around, they must suffer the consequences." I see few of them rushing around worrying about the kids after birth. (I feel I can comment as we adopted six multi-racial, older children.) For Mormons and Catholics who require ever increasing families as a way to maintain their faith-system, this is especially so.

message 5: by Lee (new) - added it

Lee Harmon very interesting, thanks for the review!

message 6: by Jennie (new)

Jennie I also love the Kindle. Not that Politics of Lust isn't problematic itself, he certainly has his own agenda, but he makes some interesting points. Also, if I recall correctly he discusses some important Supreme Court cases.

Also, I agree that I never saw many of them rushing to help kids who were unwanted. (I worked in child welfare for years, so I also feel some justification). And I think that you'll find some discussion of exactly that philosophy in Politics of Lust. I hope you enjoy it, or at least get something out of it!