Claire Monahan's Reviews > Neverwhere

it was ok
bookshelves: fantasy, the-cover-was-cooler
Recommended for: Read John Connolly's The Book of Lost Things instead
Read in December, 2009

This story was inspired by the screenplay? Well that explains everything. No wonder I felt like I was just reading along the plotline of a movie the whole time, which is the exact opposite experience I want when I read a book.

Still, there was some life here. There's your gangly hero, good-but-evil bad guy, dull but inspiring princess...obviously it was not a story that inspired me, but I can see how it might for others. The fantasy of it was exciting, and I truly appreciated the London-below element of it all. If Gaiman would take this setting and apply it to different, less cliche characters, it might be something I'd want to read and recommend.

Unfortunately, it was neither. Not to be too harsh, but reading this book makes me also question why Gaiman has such a loyal following of readers. Perhaps it's because the stories are a bit formulaic, in the same sense that people criticize Dan Brown? The Da Vinci Code is a completely different story, but you have to admit it shares many of the same plot elements that Neverwhere applies: heroes on a quest for some unattainable object that no one has ever found before, getting by with sheer luck, strength, and specific knowledge.

Anyway, if I read the wrong Gaiman book as my first, please let me know. I'd be willing to try another if you can recommend a better, more interesting piece, since Neverwhere certainly was not it.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Neverwhere.