Teena in Toronto's Reviews > An Echo Through the Snow: A Novel

An Echo Through the Snow by Andrea Thalasinos

Aug 22, 12

Read from August 09 to 23, 2012

When I started reading this book, I wasn't sure if I would keep with it, to be honest. If a book doesn't grab me right away, I don't stay with it.

But I'm glad I did with this one because I ended up enjoying it.

I wasn't crazy about the writing style in the first couple of chapters. This is the author's debut novel and it was like she was trying too hard. There seemed to be a lot of comparisons which I found a bit annoying. Here are some examples:

- Her bangs quivering like butterflies
- The dream chased her like a ratty little dog
- He vanished like mist on Superior after the sun burns through

I don't mind one occasionally but it seemed like it was overkill at first. But I noticed this tendency disappeared after a while and I found I enjoy the writing style and got caught up in the story.

Plus I found Rosalie annoying in the beginning. She was young, married to an abuser, not able to focus and drifting from job to job (though she did have a knack for beading). Even when she was offered a job working as a handler of sled dogs, she waffled about it. Once she accepted the job and started to find herself, I found her likeable.

The chapters alternate from different time periods in Siberia and Wisconsin (they are clearly indicated at the beginning). The Siberians are a very spiritual people. Conflicting with their way of life is the emergence of Stalin's Red Army. Jeaantaa chooses to not go along with it and takes off in order to save her beloved dogs. Her husband, Tariem, is haunted for the next sixty years, thinking she ran off with Robert Ramsey.

After Rosalie saves Smokey, an abused husky guard dog of a junkyard, and moves back in with her dad, her life settles down and discovers her calling. Working for Jan and Dave, she gets involved with sled dogs and eventually builds her own team. Gord and I have gone dogsledding a few times so I was able to relate to what she was doing. It's exhilarating!

So though it took me a couple chapters to get into this book, I'm glad I kept with it and I'd recommend it, especially if you are into dogs. There is some mature language.

Blog review: http://www.teenaintoronto.com/2012/08...
Likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read An Echo Through the Snow.