Ruby's Reviews > Going Vintage

Going Vintage by Lindsey Leavitt

Jan 20, 14

bookshelves: teen, young-adult, contemporary-romance
Read in August, 2013

This review was first posted on Ruby's Reads.

I’m one of those people who often thinks they were born into the wrong era, so I really like books where modern characters revisit earlier times. I tend to shy away from time travel books, but I do enjoy it when characters try to revisit the past while physically staying in the present. Going Vintage appealed to me for this reason, but also because my own parents grew up in the ’60′s. It was often that, as a teenager, I looked at my mom’s senior yearbook and romanticized her handmade prom dress and perfectly coiffed hairdo. Thus–instant connection with Going Vintage‘s MC.

I started to read Going Vintage back in March, when I was approved to download it from NetGalley. It charmed me a little, but I set it aside for some reason and didn’t pick it back up for quite a while. I don’t know what initially made me set it aside, but when I started reading again, I was pulled back into the story easily and willingly. Going Vintage is a light, fun read that I zipped through with astonishing speed. It’s a perfectly example of why I like teen contemporaries. Just being a teenager makes life so much more complicated than it needs to be. When you add in boys, then things really get messy.

Going Vintage‘s major asset is its charm. It captures this feeling that we all have–that the past, inherently, was a simpler time than whatever age we’re currently living in–and makes it clear we’re wrong. Technology (and other innovations) may make life easier, but they can’t change how hard it is to live. And–cliche though it may sound–love.

However. Going Vintage isn’t really a love story. It’s about family, too. Mallory (the main character) has a close, delightful relationship with her younger sister. She goes to her grandma for advice, but her grandma has her own issues. Her mother and father love each other, but still argue and disagree. It’s well-rounded and I like that. The romance is a part of the story, but it’s not the whole thing. My favorite part? Mallory becomes friends with her love interest first. I adore it when that happens–when you feel as though the couple could do more than just make out and make eyes at each other if they ever actually went on a date. Authors–take heed!

There was a lot to like in Going Vintage, and I’ll definitely be checking out Lindsey Leavitt’s next book. I think she’s got a talent for story-telling and she certainly knows how to create interesting characters. I’d recommend her to anyone who likes teen contemporaries.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Going Vintage.

01/20/2014 marked as: read