Kaylea's Reviews > The Stars Shine Bright

Aug 09, 2012

liked it
bookshelves: see-blog-for-more-info
Read in August, 2012

What would you do to re-start your life and redeem your career?

Would you put aside your family - your mom who is in a mental institution and your new fiance - in order to go undercover to determine who is fixing thoroughbred races?

Could you live alone, with only your only true contact being an agent that goes from "jerk to genuine friend on any given day?"

What happens when your own life is threatened?

Who will you truly rely on?

In the book description, it's said that book five (this novel) lets Raleigh Harmon walk "through the darkest night of her soul" as she searches for a "place where the stars shine bright."

I think that is a strong description of Raleigh and Sibella Giorello's writing style.

In book five (I've read the last three novels), Giorello continues to craft a strong novel around her central character - Raleigh Harmon - an FBI agent who is learning to live life as a Christian, even as she works through the rough edges of her life.

I said in my last review that Raleigh seems like a "good wine," who was either "aging well as the series progresses, or I'm just enjoying watching her solve crimes and continue to grow in her faith."

I think that's true with this newest novel. It's not easy to read - Sibella's life is not all unicorns and rainbows.

Instead, I think she's a character that many people will identify with. She struggles to live out her faith in the midst of trials. She wants to follow God's plan, but finds it hard to live up to the expectations which swirl around her life.

In all, I think Giorello continues to develop Raleigh as a multi-dimensional character. This would definitely be a series I would pass along to someone looking for a "clean" alternative to James Patterson's Women's Murder Club.

On the scale of one to five, I give this novel a solid three. It's probably not a novel that I'll read more than once, but I'll definitely pass it along to others.

Note: As a freelance journalist, I was provided a copy of this book by Litfuse Publicity. This review was not influenced by a free book - just in case you (or the FTC) were worried about this detail.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Stars Shine Bright.

03/06/2016 marked as: read