Stephanie Ricker's Reviews > Meditations on Middle Earth: New Writing on the Worlds of J. R. R. Tolkien

Meditations on Middle Earth by Karen Haber

Nov 29, 08

bookshelves: senior-thesis-research, fantasy, tolkien
Read in November, 2008, read count: 1

A rather random collection of essays be famous authors (mainly science fiction and fantasy) who love Tolkien. Some of them are a bit repetitive (there are really only so many ways you can say that Tolkien was a genius and inspired everyone), but many of the essays are entertaining purely for the writer's particular style. I especially loved this quote by Esther M. Friesner: “I am a writer. I have received money for doing this on several occasions, so the odds are that I will continue on this unfortunate course until someone catches wise. (If you don’t want a writer to come back, don’t feed him. This is a good, practical rule, and applies to cats as well. Writers are a lot like cats in this and many other respects, except for the part about being able to wash ourselves all over with our tongues. Dang.)”

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Meditations on Middle Earth.