Jess's Reviews > Kitty Steals the Show

bookshelves: urban-fantasy
Read from August 09 to 10, 2012

Review posted: Happily Ever After - Reads
Blog rating: 3.5/5

Kitty always seems to stir stuff up, no matter if she’s in Denver or in London where Kitty Steals the Show takes place. Kitty is there to attend the First International Conference on Paranatural Studies. She loves asking questions so the chance to be at this conference where she can learn and ask until her heart’s content has her eager to get things going. What she might not have expected was how in the middle of Roman’s “Long Game” she would end up being. The Long Game is led by vampire Roman, who basically wants to gather all the power he can, period. It’s a fight between vampires that’s been building for years and is now finally coming to a head spilling over into other supernatural beings, weres specifically. Kitty finds herself in the middle of it, as she meets with Master vampires from around the world, some against Roman, some with him, but no one is for sure who’s side everyone is on.

Kitty, Ben and Cormac are all in London and one of Kitty’s dreams come true: a vampire answers her when she asks him his age. For me, that is moment a completely Kitty moment. Throughout the series, we’ve followed her and her life as a DJ, a werewolf, a wife, a woman who longs to be a mother but can never have kids and an alpha. That small moment with Kitty asking her questions is always charming and makes her more human than werewolf.

As a keynote speaker at the conference, Kitty has her hands full with thinking about her speech, but also with all the new characters she comes across. She makes friends and enemies with various master vampires, she gets to know the local alpha, she runs across fairies, a past lover and even a few old human enemies. Crazy follows Kitty everywhere. The action is very subtle in this story. There’s not a lot of bloodshed, a few people do die at the hands of the Long Game players, but overall it’s a story that really sets into motion this Game that, as a reader, I need to see actually happen, soon. If the ending, and Kitty’s keynote speech is any indication, she shakes up the hornet’s nest and it’ll be interesting to see who lands on what side when the dust settles and alliances are formed.

One thing that continues to draw me to this series is the relationship between Kitty and Ben. I will mention this in every review I write for a book in this series because I love their dynamic. It’s rare to have an urban fantasy series that introduces a lead couple, and *gasp* keeps them together, happily. Maybe people will think it’s boring, or doesn’t add to the series, but I disagree completely. I love seeing Kitty and Ben strong and together throughout the series and the strength they draw from each other becomes more and more important, especially as Kitty keeps finding herself in the middle of tricky situations.

I can’t say that this was a favorite book of mine in the series, it lacks strong action but the story isn’t meant to be packed with it. It’s a long set up, kicking into gear events that have made the Long Game something that’s now taking place in the present and not a war that’s out there on the horizon. It’s here, Kitty and her crew are in the middle of it and I can’t wait to see how it all plays out.
1 like · likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Kitty Steals the Show.

08/09/2012 page 40
12.0% "Haha! Oh Kitty. She finally found a vamp who answers all her questions!"

dateDown_arrow    newest »

message 1: by Jacqueline (new)

Jacqueline Nice review. I need to catch up with Kitty. I think I'm around book 6.

message 2: by Nikola (new)

Nikola I've never read this series. It sounds a little like Buffy :)

Jess Jacqueline wrote: "Nice review. I need to catch up with Kitty. I think I'm around book 6."

Ah, you've still got some good stuff coming up to read :)

Jess Nikola wrote: "I've never read this series. It sounds a little like Buffy :)"

It's a series that I've consistently enjoyed. Give it a shot! It really picked for me around books 3, 4....