Hugo's Reviews > A Feast for Crows

A Feast for Crows by George R.R. Martin

Aug 17, 12

it was ok
Read from August 09 to 17, 2012 — I own a copy

After the breakneck speed, complexity and solid characterisation of the previous three volumes, A Feast For Crows stumbles at almost every hurdle. In fairness, most of these hurdles are of Martin's own creation, and most of them were avoidable.

I don't know a single reader of this series who doesn't list either Jon Snow, Tyrion or Daenarys as their favourite character, and their absence here leaves a gaping hole; Cersei, Jaime and Brienne make for poor substitutes, and the new characters introduced (along with yet more storylines!) only serve to accentuate the deficiency.

Personally, I'd have been happier for this to have told the congruent stories along with A Dance With Dragons (which I have yet to read) and end on a cliffhanger. The finale of this book seems very limp compared to the flurry of twists and revelations that ended A Storm of Swords. Another fault in Martin's storytelling decision is that we hear offhand of the deaths of at least one viewpoint character, and have to read hundreds of pages to, I hope, find out the details, and whether this fate is true.

I think the validity of this book's plot will be tested in the inevitable TV version; I simply can't imagine HBO spending millions on the dull 'adventures' of Cersei, Jamie and Brienne - their stories will be severely abbreviated and folded into the - fingers crossed - much more relevant and interesting tales of Tyrion, Dany and Jon. But I'm not going to read that now, because this book has put me off the series more than anything, so I'm going to read something shorter and more interesting.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read A Feast for Crows.

08/10/2012 page 111
08/12/2012 page 286
34.0% 1 comment
08/13/2012 page 335
40.0% "Struggling now. Over 300 pages and the only thing that has actually happened is that Cersei has appointed a new council. Considering skimming at this point."
08/14/2012 page 480
57.0% "If not for the good faith built by the previous volumes, I doubt I'd be persevering with this. 400 pages before anything of actual interest happening is a bit much. This has definitely turned into a bloated potboiler."
08/15/2012 page 586
69.0% "I've finally found the bit where the story starts. I was beginning to worry..."
08/16/2012 page 728
86.0% "The story is cracking along at this point. Unfortunately, there's only fifty pages left to go..."
show 3 hidden updates…