Jesse's Reviews > Vampire$

Vampire$ by John Steakley

Jan 25, 09

bookshelves: horror-dark-fantasy, vampire-stories-that-are-awesome
Read in January, 2009

In this time of weiner emo/goth vamps, I need this book. I need a vampire story full of horror, gore, and vampires that don't want to love me and live viacarously(sp?) through me, but want to...oh I don't know...DRINK MY FUCKING BLOOD AND KILL ME!!! And by page 8 so far its great. The main character is a big tough bastard of a man who hunts vampires for money, and the vampires die in horroifying ways. And thats just on page 8. I can't wait to really get dug into this, it will sooth my soul. I don't want to have to add Vamps to my list of fiction character types I hate..right now its just Elves on there. Why did Anne Rice have to start all of this.

This is it. This book cured my "lets love a vampire" genre blues. Don't be friends with vampires, kill them. Cause they damn sure will kill you eventually, or at least horribly debase you and take away your humanity.

This book has a lot in common with Steakley's other book "Armor". Its largely a story about tough people doing tough things, and that our own "internal armor" is really the greatest protection of all. Its a great very macho, but in a good non-meat headed kind of way, story. I highly recommend it for a jump back to what "vampire" fiction use to be about, people fighting against vamps. Not people loving/befriending vamps.
1 like · likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Vampire$.