M.A. Bronson's Reviews > Kiss of the Butterfly

bookshelves: runawaypen-reviews
Read from August 09 to September 11, 2012

Genre: Historical Fiction

Rating 5/5 Stars

I'll be honest, before I started reading this novel, I wasn't sure that I was going to like it. Many times a historical novel is either a hit or a miss. But Kiss of the Butterfly is definitely a hit!

The story follows Steven, an American college student on his trip to Europe where he discovers more than he expected.

I loved this book! It was so incredibly interesting, I could hardly put it down. Suffice it to say these are not your teenage daughter's vampires. The vampires in Kiss of the Butterfly are bad, human eating/killing creatures of darkness. Which was awesome!

The historical aspects are there in abundance, everything was very detailed and while the story itself is obviously fiction, the background situations are accurate. It was all very fascinating, including the actual vampire folklore.

Steven was a great main character, very real. I was rooting for him the whole book, which doesn't always happen. In every situation you see him struggle and can relate to his fight on some level. Marko Slatina, Steven's professor was also an interesting character. You can tell he's hiding something but you almost don't know if his intentions are bad or good. Though you discover his motivation and reasons later in the novel. You also feel sort of happy for Slatina at the end, I'd say more but it would be a spoiler. :)

I have to say the ending left me wanting more! I hope there will be a sequel, I would love to see what happens to Steven. :)
2 likes · flag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Kiss of the Butterfly.

James Lyon This is the type of review that leaves me with a tremendously swollen ego. My wife found me insufferable for several days after this one. Thanks to M.A. for this.