BookHookup's Reviews > Touched

Touched by Cyn Balog

Aug 10, 12

Read in August, 2012

Celeste and Ana reviewed this book on The Book Hookup

♥ How you felt at the end:
Ana: When I finished this book I felt like I’d been on a long journey. Not in a bad way at all…just in that way that makes you have to take a deep breath and stop to think about all that’s happened. This is an intense story, one that you have to commit to. You have to pay attention to what’s going on in order to keep things straight. But it’s definitely worth it.
Celeste: My husband and kids were next door at the neighbors, but I stayed home to finish this book. Then I ran over and told everyone in my immediate area, “I just finished such a good book!!!” Fabulous read. It was definitely emotional, thought provoking, fabulous. :)

♥ The story:
Ana: This was really different. The way in which Nick could see and almost interact with the future was fascinating. I must admit that at the very beginning I was a bit confused and it took a little bit of time for me to adjust to the way the story progressed, but once I was over that, I found the story to be well written and it captured both my attention and my heart. The premise that what you wish for in life may also be a curse is one we all know of…we’ve all heard the old saying “be careful what you wish for”. But to watch it play out in the lives of these characters was really intriguing.
Celeste: So different! I loved that it was from a male POV for the added bonus. Nick Cross can see into the future, but if he changes his actions he also changes the future. It is physically and emotionally draining, and he just wishes he were normal. I think I even felt exhausted from all his “cycling” and “You Wills”. All he wants is to have friends and dreams of even a girlfriend. It seems so out of reach until the day he is supposed to save a little girl’s life….but meets Taryn. Whether it was fate or coincidence, this meeting changed everything. Touched is such a great stand alone paranormal story with plenty of mystery, magic and romance.

♥ The characters:
Ana: I loved Nick’s tenacity. Faced with such an awful curse, to be able to see not only your future but that of those around you, he still managed to try to make his life as “normal” as possible. Although he had become a bit jaded by all he’d seen, he never stopped believing that he could make a difference. It broke my heart that he had to live his life as an outsider because of this ability and I wanted so badly for him to be happy. I loved Nan. Nick’s grandmother was such a strong lady who kept him grounded. Taryn holds the key to helping him figure out the what and why of his life and, although I wasn’t sure how to feel about her in the beginning, I grew to like her as well.
Celeste: Wow, such a change from the usual characters we get. Nick was a really good person, he was just cursed. It actually turned out that he was quite good looking, but looks were not a focus in this novel (and it was still THAT good!!). He was so lonely but still seemed to keep going, always wanting to do the right thing. His mother, who also was cursed, was weak. I had no respect for her. His Nan on the other hand, she never got a break or rest, or any thanks from her own daughter. She was so selfless. I loved Taryn from the beginning. She was totally beautiful, but again, it was not a focus. She too was looking for a real friendship. Then there were a few secondary characters, like Evan “Spinchter”. I loved Nick’s nickname for him. I also loved learning why he was the way he was.

♥ The relationships:
Ana: The relationship I loved the most was the one between Nick and his grandmother. She supported him unquestioningly and protected him in her own way. She was his rock and his home and what she ultimately does for him changes everything. I still don’t quite know what to feel about Nick’s mother. I can understand her and her behaviour in many ways but, at the same time, I didn’t like many of her decisions. I guess I’ve got a love/hate relationship with her at the moment. At first I found Taryn to be a flighty character whose intentions weren’t clear. But as the story progressed, I came to understand that she fought her own curse and how her life was intertwined with Nick’s in an undeniable way.
Celeste: I agree, Ana. Nick’s relationship with his Nan was the best. She was definitely his anchor. I also loved Nick and Taryn’s relationship. They were meant to be together, but neither seemed like they could believe it. They didn’t fall head over heels in love, they built up a trust and became friends with no agendas before anything else happened. I loved it.

♥ The end:
Ana: I don’t want to give anything away so I’ll just say that I didn’t see it coming…and I liked it.
Celeste: WOW. I felt pretty moved by the ending. I had tears in my eyes at one point and was all, “no no no no no” and then of course I kept reading and was like, “what what what what what.” The author did a fabulous job and like Ana, I won’t say anything else except go read this book when it comes out, you won’t regret it!

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Touched.